There is a long history of 40 yrs that spans Wheelchair Basketball SA. Established in 1970 under the SA Sports for the Physically Disabled it has evolved into a Section 21 Company in 2004. The focus of its Directorship was to reconstruct an organisation with a corporate identity that would enhance investors return on capital investment and in so doing, secure funding for its mass participation, social development and capacity building programs for Basketball players with Physical Disability.
The establishment of Coaching, Technical, Classification, Players and Conferences commissions were established with the emphasis on working committees with its main objective that WBSA shall endeavor to the best of its ability and resources, to develop basketball within its jurisdiction on political, cultural, religious, and racial and gender neutrality.
Our mission is to achieve excellence through ongoing personal attention and commitment to sponsor and investor alike utilizing tried and tested management methods. Our performance will be achieved through communication and confidence, thus ensuring improved service standards. In so doing doing WBSA shall strive to:
- Develop and promote basketball.
- Create awareness of basketball.
- Improve the standard of local and national competition.
- Allow each of its members access to any facility under its control.
- Pay due weight to the cultural backgrounds of its founding members.
- Assist all clubs and members to participate in National, District and Regional Competitions.
- To organize league competitions, tours and exhibitions in all areas within its jurisdiction.
- Find due financial support for both, by investment and sponsorship.
- Provide return of investment by achieving set company goals following the ethics of honesty and integrity.