Entry Level coaching
We have designed our coach training courses to make sure that our coaches will develop their athletes properly. Every basketball skill needs to be taught with the correct progression and has been customized for a player’s level of development. Skip the early fundamentals, and new athletes will develop bad habits that are almost impossible to break. Or – even worse – may get overwhelmed with the complexity of a new skill and quit.
If the coach spends too much time on the easy stuff his athletes will get bored, lose interest and lose concentration. To avoid this, our coaching road map teaches a simple skill progression from school kids to national athletes. The following are the three levels of skills that athletes need to learn and what they involve.
Completing this course will help you:
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone looking for an entry into coaching wheelchair basketball. It is ideal for:
- School Teachers | Coaches
- Domestic Club Coaches just starting out.
- Anyone wanting to gain a better understanding of Wheelchair Basketball.
In the first lesson you will learn more about:
- The History of the Sport.
- The International Wheelchair Basketball Federation (IWBF)
- Wheelchair Basketball South Afirca
10 minute read to complete
In this lesson you will understand the basics of classification in wheelchair basketball.
- What is Classification.
- How to Identify types of Classes.
- How to categorise types of Classes.
- Class 1 Players
- Class 2 Players
- Class 3 Players
- Class 4 Players
By the end of this lesson you will have a basic understanding of the Technical side of Wheelchair Basketball.
- Introduction to Officiating
- Basic Mechanics and Signals.
This lesson covers the basics of what a Wheelchair Basketball Coach needs to have an understanding of:
- Responsibility of a Coach, Manager and Players
- Basic Team Selection Criteria
- Practice Planning
- How to Structure a Practice Session
- Warm Up & Stretching
- Communication – Associated Training
30 Min read to complete
In this final lesson we will introduce you to some basic skills and drills and how to teach these.
- Teaching Passing Skills